Tuesday 30 June 2009

Designed for Community

I always considered myself a bit of a lone wolf, able to go off on adventures by myself but recently this idea has been turned on it's head. I must have watched too many superhero films!

I was walking the west highland way (Milngavie to Fort William - 95 miles) with a couple of mates but they pulled out on the second day, 25 miles into the walk, my pride got the better of me and I decided to go on myself. 20 miles later I pulled out feeling very low and lonely.

I needed someone to share the experience with, someone to encourage me when I was struggling, someone just to enjoy the walk with.

Someone.

This is the same with life. We need to share the experience with people, how often do people get depressed and start to struggle when they don't have someone there to love and encourage them, who have an ear to listen to their problems.

We each need a community of friends to be with, to enjoy life with. Of course there are times when we need to be alone but on the overall grand scheme of things we need someone.

We are designed to be in community.

I'll be finishing the West Highland Way another time and it will definitely be with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment