Friday 17 April 2009

Protests

Saturday the 25th, time to raise awareness for the child soldiers who are abducted every day in Northern Uganda by a rebel organisation called the 'Lord's Resistance Army', led by rebel leader Joseph Kony. There are events happening all over the world on that day with one of them being in Edinburgh. I would be there if I didn't have to study for my finals.

Gutted.

If you have no idea what I am talking about then check out http://therescue.invisiblechildren.com/en/#/watch/

It will hopefully stay peaceful and hopefully get the attention of the Government.

The guardian website today tells me that the policeman who pushed Ian Tomlinson who died at the G20 protests is to be faced with manslaughter questions. OK the manslaughter charge would be a bit extreme from looking at the video evidence but I wonder what his defence will be, the victim was walking away to slowly, or maybe, I was bored with the majority of the protests being peaceful. I suppose he might have just got caught up in it all, he is probably feeling completely guilty about it all now.

I havn't actually been part of a mass protest before but I reckon there must be some thrill in it all, the adrenaline rush. I reckon alot of people that get involved with protests don't actually know what they are protesting but just jumped on the bandwagon. For example in the recent Israel-Palestine scenario, there was a protest at Strathclyde University and the protesters had ridiculous demands. I bet if I asked say 80% of those who were protesting about the demands they wouldn't have had a clue or had actually thought them through.

However, when protests do make a difference, are peaceful and are for a worthy cause then I hope that the people who can change things take heed.

25th April 2009 will hopefully make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. gutted. or... rearranging your study timetable??? i think so... see you in an hour.. :)

    ReplyDelete